ARTEMIS (g-Factor Measurements)
Diese Seite existiert momentan nur auf Englisch.
This experiment is currently being set up at GSI. It focuses on precise measurements of magnetic moments and transition wavelength of forbidden transitions in highly charged ions. The measurement principle is a newly developed laser-microwave double-resonance technique which uses fluorescence light from an optical transition (in the fine or hyperfine structure) as a probe for microwave excitation between corresponding Zeeman sublevels. The energy of the microwave transitions directly yields the gF factor of the ion. A combined measurement of atomic gF factors on the ppb level of accuracy and of the HFS transition frequency allows a simultaneous and independent determination of the electronic gJ factor and the nuclear gI factor. For the first time, precise values for nuclear magnetic moments can be inferred without the use of diamagnetic corrections which currently limits the achievable accuracy substantially. At the same time, diamagnetic shielding effects can for the first time be quantified in a spectroscopic measurement. This information may be used to benchmark corresponding theories. The proposed measurements furthermore allow stringent tests of theoretical values for g factors as calculated in the framework of quantum electrodynamics of bound states.
Recent publications of relevance:
- "A laser-microwave double resonance experiment for precise g-factor determinations in highly charged ions", W. Quint, D. Moskovkhin, V.M. Shabaev and M. Vogel, Phys. Rev. A 78 (2008) 032517
- "The anomalous magnetic moment of the electron", M. Vogel, Contemporary Physics 50 (2009) 437
- "Trap-assisted precision spectroscopy of highly charged ions", M. Vogel and W. Quint, J. Phys. B 42 (2009) 154016
- "Precision spectroscopy of forbidden transitions in stored highly charged ions", M. Vogel and W. Quint, Physics Reports 490 (2010) 1-47
- "Trapped Ion Oscillation Frequencies as Sensors for Spectroscopy", M. Vogel, W. Quint and W. Nörtershäuser, Sensors 10 (2010) 2169
- "Laser spectroscopy by a radiofrequency measurement on single ion in a Penning trap", M. Vogel und W. Quint, New J. Phys. 11 (2009) 013024
- "The anomalous magnetic moment of the electron bound in highly-charged ions", M. Vogel, K. Blaum, W. Quint, S. Stahl, J. Verdu und G. Werth, Eur. Phys. J. Special Topics 163 (2008) 113
- A Penning Trap for g-Factor Measurements in Highly Charged Ions by Laser-Microwave Double-Resonance Spectroscopy", N. Brantjes, D. von Lindenfels, G. Birkl, W. Quint and M. Vogel, Hyp. Int. 199 (2011) 161
- Experimental access to higher-order Zeeman effects by precision spectroscopy of highly charged ions in a Penning trap", D. von Lindenfels, M. Wiesel, W. Quint, D. Glazov, V.M. Shabaev, G. Birkl and M. Vogel, Phys. Rev. A87 023412 (2013)
- Aspects of Fundamental Physics in Precision Spectroscopy of Highly Charged Ions in Penning Traps", M. Vogel and W. Quint, Annalen der Physik 525 505 (2013)
- Magnetic Moment of the Bound Electron", Manuel Vogel and Wolfgang Quint, in: "Fundamental Physics in Particle Traps", W. Quint and M. Vogel, eds., Springer Tracts in Modern Physics 256 73-135 (2014) ISBN 978-3-642-45200-0