Synthesis of Nanostructures
The combination of etched ion-track membranes and electrodeposition allows us to synthesize nanowires with simultaneous and independent control of their dimension, geometry, morphology and crystallinity.
Poly- and single-crystalline nanowires, with diameter ranging between few nm and several micrometers, and aspect ratio (length over diameter) as high as 1000, are created by electrochemical deposition in etched ion track templates. The wires can remain in the template or can be transfered to another substrate after removal of the membrane.
Currently, we are working on the electrochemical synthesis of nanowires of different materials such as copper, gold, bismuth, platinum, silver, alloys such as AuAg, Bi1-xSbx and Bi2Te3, ZnO, and heterostructures such as multilayers.
Novel nanostructures such as nanogaps for plasmonics, conical nanowires, and nanowire networks are currently under development and investigation.
- Tuning the Size and Shape of NanoMOFs via Templated Electrodeposition and Subsequent Electrochemical Oxidation, F. Caddeo, R. Vogt, D. Weil, W. Sigle, M.E. Toimil-Molares, Maijenburg W., ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (2019) 11, 25378.
- ZnO Nanowire Networks as Photoanode Model Systems for Photoelectrochemical Applications, L. Movsesyan, A.W. Maijenburg, N. Goethals, W. Sigle, A. Spende, F. Yang, B. Kaiser, W. Jaegermann, S.-Y. Park, G. Mul, C. Trautmann, M.E. Toimil-Molares, Nanomaterials (2018) 8, 693.
- Surface enrichment in Au–Ag alloy nanowires and investigation of the dealloying process, L. Burr, I. Schubert, W. Sigle, C. Trautmann, M.E. Toimil-Molares, J. Phys. Chem. C 119 (2015) 20949-20956.
- Growth and morphological analysis of segmented AuAg alloy nanowires created by pulsed electrodeposition in ion-track etched membranes, I. Schubert, L. Burr, C. Trautmann,M.E. Toimil-Molares, Beilstein J. of Nanotechnology 6 (2015) 1272.
- Characterization and properties of micro- and nanowires of controlled size, composition, and geometry fabricated by electrodeposition in ion-track technology, M.E. Toimil-Molares, Beilstein J. Nanotechnol. 3 (2012) 860-883.
- Tuning the Geometrical and Crystallographic Characteristics of Bi2Te3 Nanowires by Electrodeposition in Ion-Track Membranes, O. Picht, S. Müller, I. Alber, M. Rauber, J. Lensch-Falk, D.L. Medlin, R. Neumann, M.E. Toimil-Molares, J. Phys. Chem. C 116 (2012) 5367.
- Electrochemical Synthesis of Bi1 xSbx Nanowires with Simultaneous Control on Size Composition and Surface Roughness, S. Müller, C. Schötz, O. Picht, W. Sigle, P. Kopold, M. Rauber, I. Alber, R. Neumann,M.E. Toimil-Molares, Crystal Growth and Design 12 (2012) 615.
- Copper nanocones grown in polymer ion-track membranes as field emitters, P. Serbun, F. Jordan, A. Navitski, G. Müller, I. Alber,M.E. Toimil-Molares, C. Trautmann, The European Physical Journal Applied Physics 58 (2012) 10402.
GSI Contact: m.e.toimilmolares(at)gsi.de