Research areas and experiments
The research spectrum at GSI covers a very broad range in scales, from the sub-femtometer scales in hadron physics over the femto meter and ångström scales of nuclear and atomic physic to the scales of nano- and micrometer of materials science, plasma- and biophysics.
- Nuclear Structure and astrophysics investigations of exotic nuclei
- HISPEC/DESPEC @ FRS & SuperFRS @ FAIR: High Resolution Gamma Ray Spectroscopy
- R3B @ FRS & SuperFRS @ FAIR: Reactions with Relativistic Radioactive Beams
- FRS-ESR: Precision Mass & Life-Time Measurements
- SHIP/SHIPTRAP @ UNILAC: Production and Characteristics of Super Heavy Elements with the Separator of Heavy Ion Products
- TASCA@UNILAC: Chemistry of super heavy elements.
- Nuclear Matter at High Densities and Temperatures: Nuclear collision experiments at high energies:
Hadron Structure Investigations with the Anti-Proton Facility of FAIR by
- PANDA @ FAIR:HESR: the Proton-Antiproton Annihilation Experiment
Structure of Atoms, Highly Charged Ions & Nuclei
Compressing Matter by Intensive Ion and Laser Beams
Material Science with Accelerated Ions
Biophysics & Tumor Therapy with Ion Beams
High Performance Computing & IT Services