Seeing. Experiencing. Understanding: The Open House at GSI and FAIR offers an adventure trip into science and leads right into the heart of the cutting-edge research activities at GSI and FAIR with numerous information and entertainment offers.
- Tickets: Individual “Open House” tickets free of charge must be purchased in advance. Tickets are available here. Ticket cancellation or changes: support(at)connfair.com
- Booking options:
- a) guided campus tours or construction site tours at fixed starting times (duration approx. 75 min.) with stay at the “Science Square”. Information about the guided tours.
- b) stay at the "Science Square" without guided tours (duration unlimited).
- Maximum number: Up to six tickets can be booked per person.
- Admission: The ticket entitles you to admission from 10 a.m., please arrive at the entrance at least 30 minutes before the starting time of your booked tour.
- Language: Guided tours are also offered in English at certain times.
- Age restrictions: All ages are welcome at the "Science Square" and on Tour Gamma; see the ticketing portal for age restrictions on campus tours.
- Accessibility: Accessibility is provided in the "Science Square"; the guided tours Alpha, Beta and Gamma are barrier-free.
- Food and drinks: A gastronomic offer is available on a self-pay basis.
Book your ticket - either for one of the guided tours, all of which give a good overview of research facilities, technical departments, accelerators, experiments or the FAIR construction site, or for the Science Square, where you can relax and enjoy the international atmosphere of GSI and FAIR with a varied catering offer and entertainment program.
Directions & Parking
- 11:25 Die Physikanten – Science Show
- 12:00 Opening and greetings
- Prof. Dr. Paolo Giubellino, Scientific Managing Director GSI and FAIR
- Jörg Blaurock, Technical Managing Director GSI and FAIR
- Stefan Müller, Head of Department for Fundamental Research at the Federal Ministry of Education and Research
- Prof. Dr. Kristina Sinemus, Hessian Minister for Digital Strategy and Development
- 12:45 Team Scientastic – Scienceshow
- 14:15 Die Physikanten – Science Show
- 15:00 Team Scientastic – Science Show
Kids & Fun
- Balloon artist
- Ice from nitrogen
- Table fiddling
- Gummy bear throwing machine
- Hands-on experiments
Market of possibilities
- Nuclear Spectroscopy
- Experiment Electronics
- IT department
- Technology Transfer
- Vacuum Systems
- Jobs & Career
- ALICE Experiment
- Meet a Scientist / Masterclass
- Association for the Promotion of Tumor Therapy with Heavy Ions e.V.
- Space Research
- FAIR facility in 3D / Engineering
- Art installation "Enter Interact Collide" by Violeta López López
in the framwork of Artist-in-Science-Residence in Kooperation mit Kultur einer Digitalstadt e.V.
- Helmholtz Institute Jena
- Helmholtz Institute Mainz / Superheavy Elements
Tour Alpha - Research & Technology:
You will see the linear accelerator UNILAC with the ion sources at the beginning, one of the discovery sites of new elements and the high-performance computing center Green IT Cube.
Tour Beta - Research & Technology:
You will see the storage ring CRYRING, magnets for the fragment separator Super-FRS, the experiment R3B and the large-scale detector HADES.
Tour Gamma - Research & Technology:
You will see the main control room, the high-performance laser PHELIX, the experimental storage ring ESR, the biophysics tumor therapy site, and the target laboratory.
Tour Delta - FAIR Construction Site & Technology:
You will see selected areas of the 20-acre construction site for the future FAIR international accelerator center, as well as components for the future SIS100 ring accelerator.
Tour Epsilon - FAIR Construction Site & Technology:
You will see the detector laboratory, the test facility for superconducting accelerator magnets, materials research and you will see the mega construction site of the future FAIR accelerator center from the viewpoint.
(We reserve the right to make changes to all tours at short notice).
For the open day, we have turned off or secured equipment along the guided tours that could pose a danger. Nevertheless, the following should be observed:
- Stay on the marked paths, observe the barriers.
- Do not touch any technical equipment.
- Parents are responsible for their children, so do not leave them unattended.
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings.
- In case of emergency, contact a GSI/FAIR employee or the security service.
- Leave the premises immediately when the alarm sirens sound.
- Always follow the instructions of GSI/FAIR employees and the security service.
- Persons with implants (pacemakers, insulin pumps, etc.) may not enter all areas. These are designated separately.
- Unfortunately, bringing animals onto the event premises is not permitted due to our operating regulations. This excludes support animals, which must be kept on a leash.
- Photo notice: At this event, photo and video recordings will be made by GSI and FAIR, among others. These will be used for public relations (including social media) and will also serve as permanent documentation of the GSI and FAIR open day (offline and online and can thus also be accessed outside Europe). More information at www.gsi.de/tagderoffenentuer/Fotohinweis.