Postdoc in the “Clinical radiobiology group” (m/f)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensuring each day to conduct world-class science.
The Biophysics department is an interdisciplinary collaboration of biologists, physicists, chemists, biochemists and technicians. The multidisciplinary research in our group covers a wide range of topics from radiobiology, radiation physics and space research to radiation therapy.
The working group Clinical Radiobiology (subgroup of Biophysics) deals with translational research in particle radiobiology. The group works in close collaboration with the TreatmentPlanning group on the verification of heavy ion treatment plans in cellular phantoms, and with the ImmuneSystem group on combined effects of heavy ions and immunotherapy in cellular and animal models. The group actively works on the influence of hypoxia on the response of tumors to particle irradiation.
The GSI biophysics group is looking for the
Postdoc in the
“Clinical radiobiology group” (m/f)
Posting ID: 1570-18.181
The candidate will work in the clinical radiobiology group, supervise students and technical assistants, and plan the experimental activity with he Group Leader and the Department Director. She/he will actively pursue the acquisition of external funds and will collaborate with clinical groups at Heidelberg (HIT), Marburg (MIT), CNAO (Pavia, Italy), and NIRS (Chiba, Japan).
The planned tasks comprise:
- Performing cell survival experiments using 3D phantoms for treatment planning verification
- Animal and in vitro experiments on the combination of heavy ions with immunotherapy
- Effects of radiation modifiers, including nanoparticles
- PhD degree in Biology or Biotechnology
- Experience in radiobiology, especially in radiobiology experiments at high-energy particle accelerators
- Experience with all the biology techniques typically used in cell culture laboratory and experiments with small animals (rodents)
- Knowledge of the most advanced molecular biology techniques, including RT-PCR, microarrays, flow cytometry and fluorescence microscopy
- Specific experience on the effects of ananoparticles in biological Systems
- Working in an innovative, interdisciplinary and excellently equipped research group that is world leading in several fields of Research
- Applied research in close connection with clinics
The position is limited for 2 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Marco Durante via telephone: +49(0)6159/71-2009 or email: m.durante(at)gsi.de. Information about FAIR and GSI is available at www.gsi.de and www.fair-center.eu.
If you find this position interesting, please send your full application documents, including the desired salary, with information of your earliest possible starting date and the reference number above to the following address by January,4th, 2018 to
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by email to: bewerbung(at)gsi.de