Postdoc in “Cardiac Ion Beam Therapy” (m/f)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensure each day to conduct world-class science.
The Biophysics department is an interdisciplinary collaboration of biologists, physicists, chemists, biochemists and technicians. The multidisciplinary research in our group covers a wide range of topics from radiobiology, radiation physics and space research to radiation therapy.
The working group Medical Physics – specializes in developing strategies to treat moving targets, such as lung tumors, with scanned ion beams. The Biophysics department supports its own treatment planning system with advanced capabilities for 4D dose calculation and conformal optimization to fully exploit the superior physical properties of ion beams.
The non-invasive treatment of cardiac arrhythmia with ionizing irradiation is a current hot topic with first patients treated successfully with photon beams. The Medical Physics group is working on realizing cardiac ion beam therapy to drastically reduce exposure of critical healthy structures. Realistic experiments have already been conducted, but further steps are necessary for a clinical realization.
The GSI biophysics group is looking for a
“Cardiac Ion Beam Therapy” (m/f)
Posting ID: 1510-18.93
The postdoc should work in the field of cardiac ion-beam therapy. The planned tasks comprise:
- Development of conformal irradiation strategies for small cardiac sub-structures
- Development of specific image registration strategies for time-resolved cardiac Images
- Supervision of students working on related Topics
- Maintenance and support for the in-house treatment planning software TRiP4D
- Collaboration with clinical Partners
- PhD degree in Physics, Medical Physics, Informatics, Engineering or comparable
- Experience in medical image processing, especially image Registration
- Experience in the field of ion beam therapy, proton therapy or radiotherapy
- Experience in planning and conducting complex scientific experiments
- Strong programming skills (e.g. C/C++)
- Working in an innovative, interdisciplinary and excellently equipped research group that is world leading in several fields of Research
- Broad range of research Topics
- Applied research in close connection with clinics
The position is limited for 2 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
For further information please contact Dr. Christian Graeff via telephone: +49(0)6159/71-1848 or email: c.graeff(at)gsi.de. Information about FAIR and GSI is available at www.gsi.de and www.fair-center.eu.
If you find this position interesting, please send your full application documents, including the desired salary, with information of your earliest possible starting date and the reference number above to the following address by July, 20th, 2018 to
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by email to: bewerbung(at)gsi.de