The Data Center Group operates the data centers of FAIR/GSI GreenIT-Cube, RZ1 and BG2.
Tasks of the Data Center Group:
- Operation of the data centers
- Operation of infrastructure monitoring systems
- Operation of the central asset and data center management systems
- Monitoring of the technical infrastructure and coordination of operation and maintenance with external service providers
- Optimization of energy efficiency
- Planning, procurement and installation of further systems in cooperation with the respective specialist groups
- Repair and RMA Processing for Servers
- Innovative and energy-efficient: The "GreenIT-Cube" in the form of a cube measuring 27×30×22 m with six floors and an adjacent technical building including cooling towers.
- In the first version, the GreenITCube has a cooling capacity of 4 megawatts, which will rise to 12 megawatts in the final expansion phase. The water cooling used in the rear doors of the server cabinets is highly efficient and requires less than 7% of the electrical power of the IT equipment.
- It houses a mirror (RZ-1 and GreenIT-Cube) of the important basic IT services, as well as the servers, computing nodes and storage units for the experiment data.
- A time-lapse video about the construction of the GreenITCube can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j93R0kORA9c
- Conventional data center with the central network node, mirror data center for the important basic services, and central location of the magnetic tape library.