Here you will find instructions on how to install and configure the Citrix software for accessing the (new) Windows Terminal Server
xats01.gsi.de or to use it via a web browser.
Microsoft has changed the license policy since beginning of 2015. That is why all needed Windows accounts have to register in a special group in our active directory. You may request this via an email to the ticket system (windows-service at gsi.de).
With Citrix Receiver, you are able to access to the Windows Terminal Server from outside the GSI Windows domain.
So GSI Windows environment (data, e-mail, SAP, etc.) is available. To establish the connection, client software must be installed and configured on the device.
The Citrix Receiver is available for all standard operating systems at GSI:
There are different ways for software installation depending on you are located inside or outside the GSI domain:
- inside - The software is available in the Software Center. An older version of the Citrix client will be previously uninstalled automatically.
Citrix Receiver with single sign on = the actual user logged on to the PC/laptop is also automatically logged on to the Receiver
Citrix Receiver without single sign on = any user can be logged on to the Receiver
- outside - Download a version of Citrix Workspace app: https://www.citrix.com/en-gb/downloads/workspace-app/
We recommend version Citrix Workspace app 19.12.2000 for Windows, LTSR Cumulative Update 2
You may need administrator privilege on your PC to install the software. Save the file on your harddrive and follow the installation instructions.
- inside - Citrix Receiver is available as standard. Please note that these instructions are only valid for newer Debian versions such as Wheezy or Jessie, not for Squeeze and earlier.
- outside - Please download the actual version of Citrix Receiver for Linux from this web site: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/
Please download the actual plugin from this web site: https://www.citrix.com/downloads/workspace-app/
All needed certificates are already installed on Citrix installations on Windows / Linux supported by Windows group or HPC.
In other cases you must install the following certificate:
- T-TeleSec GlobalRoot Class 2: https://pki.pca.dfn.de/dfn-ca-global-g2/pub/cacert/rootcert.crt
Linux - outside
Ubuntu: Save the certificates in PEM format in the directory
If necessary, execute the command
To convert a certificate file from DER to PEM you may call the following command:
openssl x509 -in file.crt -inform der -out file.pem -outform pem
Please note that the path could be different in other distributions or Citrix Versions.
You may need to delete the Citrix certificate directory completely and create a symlink to
The Citrix Storefront will be displayed, with all applications available for selection.
- Desktop = various terminal servers with Windows 2012 R2 and Office2016
- Office2010 = one terminal servers with Windows 2012 R2 and Office2010
- Users of a Windows operating system should always use the client. (see above)
- Users of a Linux operating System are able to use the new version of the Citrix client with the web browser of your choice for working on a Windows Terminal Server. Type the address https://xats01.gsi.de into the address bar.
A toolbar with the following functions is available at the top of the Citrix window:
- Home: Minimizes all Desktop Viewer Windows
- Ctrl+Alt+Del: Lock screen, Logout, Change password, Task Manager
- Settings: Options for file access, connections, Display
- Full screen: Switching between window sizes
- Separate: Disconnect session to resume later
In the explorer you can see
- the drives (without the floppy) of your (local) PC and
- the drives on the Terminal Server.
The drives of your own PC have the label on your client, example: on DEPCnnn. The network drives on the terminal server have the name of DFS, e.g. \\campus\...
Close your der Terminal Server session
If you want to close a terminal server session, always choose Start - Log off.
It is also possible to leave the session in order to continue it at a later time. In this case, choose the corresponding function from the toolbar.
The past has unfortunately shown that this occasionally leads to problems and prevents a later registration. In these cases, contact the UHD or create a ticket at windows-service(at)gsi.de.
The profile stored on the server for these terminal servers is called ConfigTS.V2, it must be configured (Outlook, network drives, printer, desktop) after the 1st call.
Your network drives, which you have connected in your desktop Windows profile, can also be easily imported into this profile via the Software Center.
You can copy additional configurations from the Windows10 profile:
Target: C:\users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures (the directory is only created after the 1st start of Outlookt)
Printing on a private device
The own printers e.g. in the home office can be reached via the entry "Citrix universal printer (from hostname) in session nn".
The EMF Viewer opens with a print preview. A click on the print symbol starts the printer selection of the printers installed on your home PC.
Drucken auf einem privaten Gerät
Make sure that you minimize the printing of sensitive or business-relevant data on a non-GSI device and in any case protect it from foreign eyes (do not dispose it in household waste)!
Resetting the Receiver
If the Terminal Server connection is interrupted unexpectedly, it may happen that a restart ends with an error. The cause can be various reasons, e.g. an interruption of the Internet connection.
Then it is necessary to reset the Citrix Receiver.
Right-click on the Citrix icon in the task bar at the bottom right and select Advanced Settings. There you will find the item Reset Receiver.