Research Assistant (all genders) as Group-Leader for the data storage group
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research), one of the world‘s largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensure each day to conduct world-class science.
We are looking for the following person for the IT-department as soon as possible:
Research Assistant (all genders) as
Group-Leader for the data storage group
Posting ID: 23.95-1910
- Technical management of the employees of the data storage group
- Conception, planning and operation of the hardware platform for the scientific data from GSI an FAIR
- Creation of concepts for the general use of HIGH-PERFORMANCE STORAGE at GSI in cooperation with the scientific community
- Implementation of a „Federated Data Storage“ concept for worldwide access to the scientific data of the GSI and FAIR experiments
- Cooperation with the experiments on the concepts for data-storage and –management in the peta-byte scale.
- Successfully completed studies (master, diploma) in computer science, physics or a comparable course
- Expertise in data storage technologies and systems (Lustre, Ceph, …etc)
- Experience in leading teams and managing projects related to data storage
- Knowledge of development and implementation of storage strategies and solutions
- Experience in dealing with security and privacy requirements related to data storage
- Good written and spoken German and English
Your working style is structured and independent. The use of documentation tools during your work is an efficient support for you. You have strong communication skills, a confident manner, as well as a high level of methodological and social competence; you are ready to acquire missing knowledge independently. The ability to work in a team across groups and a solution-oriented working style are required.
After a comprehensive induction, you can expect a varied and challenging job in an experienced project team, creative design and development opportunities in a research institution with an international perspective; time for the (further) development of own open-source products; participation in scientific conferences and opportunities for further qualification.
The position is permanent. The salary is based on the collective agreement for public employees (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst - TVöD (Bund)). GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position. Severely handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
Home office is partly possible by mutual agreement.
If you consider the described field of activity as a personal challenge and are interested in working in an extraordinary international, strongly technical environment, please send your complete application documents, including your salary requirements and stating your earliest possible starting date, until 8th of December 2023 at the latest, quoting the reference number (23.95-1910):
Preferred via the online portal on our job site,
or via email to bewerbung(at)gsi.de
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Data Privacy Statement