PhD student (all genders)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world’s largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensure each day to conduct world-class science.
We are seeking a highly motivated junior researcher for the position as
PhD student (all genders)
for a PhD position associated with the university of Bochum in the field of experimental hadron physics for as soon as possible.
The experimental nuclear physics institute IKP-1, originated at the Forschungszentrum in Jülich (FZJ), has established a new department at the Helmholtz center GSI in Darmstadt (GSI-FFN) with an academic chair at the University of Bochum (RUB).
The selected candidate (all genders) will be working at GSI and taking part in the international PANDA collaboration and will be involved in the phase-zero program of PANDA@HADES. The PhD project will be oriented towards the application of machine learning methods in particle tracking and identification for the baryon spectroscopy program.
- carry out a physics study to search for and analyze the properties of excited hyperons and their radiative and hadronic transitions.
- a completed M.S. degree in physics preferably in the field of nuclear, hadron or particle physics
- a profound interest in data mining and machine learning techniques
- experiences in the development of algorithms using C/C++, or Python
- proven analytic skills
- keen and willing to work in a competitive international environment
- oral and written proficiency in English
- motivation to organize and write scientific documents describing the work.
We offer a position which is limited to a duration of 3 years in an international environment which is involved in HGS-HIRE graduate school. The salary is based on the German civil service employees (Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst - TVöD (Bund)).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Severely handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
Interested candidates can send their application including a CV, a list of followed courses including grades, and two recommendation letterswith the Posting-ID21.118-4406 by 05th November 2021 by email to bewerbung(at)gsi.de
or postal delivery:
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Data Privacy Statement