Engineer, Electrical Engineering / Electrical Power Engineering
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensuring each day to conduct world-class science.
The department "CommonsElectric Power Systems" is responsible for operational readiness, commissioning and maintenance of all power converter (PC) units for the beam guiding magnets in the existing GSI as well as the new FAIR accelerators.
We hereby invite qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Engineer (Dipl.-Ing. FH / Bachelor)
Electrical Engineering / Electrical Power Engineering
focusing on power electronics
for special engineering tasks in specification, procurement, installation and commissioning of power converters in the existing GSI accelerator facility and the future FAIR accelerator facility.
The successful candidate will work in the Commons Electric Power Systems department and will work in association with the scientists, project engineers and technicians from other departments.
Main responsibilities/ Job description:
- Design of power converters with high power requirements (up to several MW’s), high dynamics and accuracy for the beam guiding magnets
- Planning work for the integration of power converters into the infrastructure
- Preparing specifications and procurement documents for the power converter units
- Calculation, simulation and project planning (budget-planning / time-scheduling, coordination with other trades) of power converter units
- Processing of orders and procurement transactions
- Acceptance / functional testing of power converter units at international power converter manufacturers (FAT)
- Commissioning of the power converters on the new FAIR site (SAT)
- Ensuring quality-assured end documentation
- Carrying out maintenance and repair work on existing power converter units
- Management of electronic databases, input of component data and planning of required cable connections in cable database
- Entering data into Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) database
- Service /maintenance of existing power converters
- Working in radiation protection areas (ionizing radiation) and on high-voltage systems
- Perception of on-call duty during beam times and testing periods
- Successfully completed training as an engineer in the field of Electrical Engineering / Electrical Power Engineering or equivalent
- Expertise in power electronics / semiconductors
- Expertise in EMC
- Experience in preparing the project related documentation
- General computer skills, preferably MS-Office
- Team spirit and flexibility
- Ability to communicate effectively (in written and spoken modes) in German and English languages
- To work independently with a high grade of initiative, ability to integrate into an existing department as well as team and communication skills and resilience under pressure are required.
You can expect a challenging and interesting position in an exceptional, international, strongly technical environment, a good infrastructure and the work in team experts with physics, technical and engineering background.
We offer an initial employment contract of 5 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
Please send your full application documents, including the desired salary, with information of your earliest possible starting date and the reference number above to the following address by 24.05.2019 to:
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by email to: bewerbung(at)gsi.de