Engineer (all genders)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensure each day to conduct world-class science.
The department ‘Accelerator Control Systems’ (ACO) presently employs about 65 hardware and software developers and is responsible for the design and implementation of the control system of the existing and future FAIR accelerator facilities.
We are now inviting qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Engineer (all genders)
Posting ID: 21.144-6210
with a specialisation in functional safety, mechatronics, electrical and automation engineering, or equivalent qualification.
The control system of the GSI/FAIR facilities has, among other functions, the task of controlling and monitoring the systems of the vacuum and cryogenic technical infrastructure of the particle accelerators and providing machine and personnel safety functions.
The main task of this position is the hardware design and software development of the “Personnel Access System” (PAS) for the new FAIR accelerator complex, following the specification and general risk assessment process in compliance to the radiation protection directive.
- Supporting the execution and preparation of the tender for the technical design for the hardware of the system setup
- Programming of the safety and standard programs including the visualization of the Personal Access System and the interfaces to the personnel database and various devices such as QR code scanner, dosimeter reader, hand vein scanner, etc.
- Supervision of the assembly of the components for the Personnel Access System by suppliers or external companies and the execution of the commissioning together with technicians
- Preparation of technical specifications and documentation
- Supporting the service and maintenance personnel in operation.
- Graduated engineer (MSc/Diploma) with focus on automation with a specialisation on functional safety, mechatronics, electrical and automation engineering, or equivalent qualification
- Experience in the implementation of projects for control engineering systems
- Profound knowledge in the field of control and automation technology
- At least good knowledge of relevant standards, ordinances and laws on the subject of the Machinery Directive, personnel safety and the processes for risk assessment, especially the standards DIN EN 61508 and DIN EN ISO 13849, proof as a "Functional Safety Engineer" would be an asset
- Experience in the design of fail-safe PLC control systems
- Good knowledge of the programming tools TIA Portal and STEP 7 Safety especially the programming languages SFC, ST, FBD from DIN EN 61131-3:2014-06/IEC 61131-3:2003, additionally Python, C and C++ would be an asset
- Experience with LINUX and Oracle databases is beneficial
- Good general understanding of science and physics
- Good knowledge of the German and English language, both written and spoken.
In addition, this position implies a high number of technical and organisational interfaces to other specialist groups, requiring good team and communication skills as well as precise and structured approach to working.
We offer a versatile and interesting position in a dynamic, well-equipped, and international research environment. Within the FAIR project, large parts of the control system are to be redeveloped and put into operation in the coming years. With the opportunity to contribute and develop your own ideas, you can play a major role in shaping the system design.
The position is initially limited to five years with the possibility of a permanent employment contract. The salary is based on the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered, when equally qualified.
If you regard the described field of activity as a personal challenge and would like to work in an exceptional, international, highly technical environment, please send - preferred via the online portal on our job site - your complete application documents, including your salary expectations, with details of your earliest possible starting date, quoting the posting ID 21.144-6210, by 17/12/2021 at the latest:
Via email to bewerbung(at)gsi.de
Or postal delivery:
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
Data Privacy Statement