Technician Electrical Engineering / Electrical Power Engineering
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensuring each day to conduct world-class science.
The department "CommonsElectric Power Systems (EPS)" is responsible for operational readiness, commissioning and maintenance of all power converter (PC) units for the beam guiding magnets in the existing GSI as well as the new FAIR accelerators.
We hereby invite qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Electrical Engineering / Electrical Power Engineering
focusing on power electronics (m/f/d)
Posting ID: 6660-19.129
for demanding tasks in the maintenance of Power Converters in the existing GSI accelerator facility as well the installation and commissioning of new Power Converters in the future FAIR accelerator facility.
The successful candidate will work in the Commons Electric Power Systems department and will work in association with the responsible machine coordinators, project engineers / technicians from other departments and international specialist companies.
Main responsibilities/ Job description:
- Ensuring the operational readiness of the Power Converter units for the beam guiding magnets in the existing accelerator systems through regular service / maintenance / troubleshooting of the over 700 power supply units as well as the associated supply systems.
- Maintenance and repair of high voltage devices
- Preparing of specifications and procurement documents for new power converter units
- Installation / commissioning of the power supply units on the new FAIR site (SAT)
- Management of electronic databases, input of component data and planning of required cable connections in cable database
- Entering data into Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) database
- Ensuring quality-assured end documentation
- Electrical isolations (5 safety rules) and re-commissioning including work order processing
- Measurement setups for experiments/ series of measurements / control measurements
- Planning, assembly, wiring of electronic test boards
- Planning work for the integration of power supplies into the infrastructure
- Procurement and order processing of electrical components
- Working in radiation protection areas (ionizing radiation) and on high-voltage systems
- Perception of on-call duty during beam times and testing periods
- perception of “crane operator” function for heavy and bulky goods
- Successfully completed technician training in the field of electrical engineering / electrical installation / electrical power engineering or comparable training
- Practical experience in the field of general maintenance
- Expertise in power electronics / semiconductors
- Competence in high voltage devices
- Experience in preparing the project related documentation
- General computer skills, preferably MS-Office
- Team spirit and flexibility
- Ability to communicate effectively (in written and spoken modes) in German and English languages
- To work independently with a high grade of initiative, ability to integrate into an existing department as well as team and communication skills and resilience under pressure are required.
You can expect a challenging and interesting position in an exceptional, international, strongly technical environment, a good infrastructure and the work in team experts with physics, technical and engineering background.
We offer an initial employment contract of 5 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
Please send your full application documents, including the desired salary, with information of your earliest possible starting date and the Posting ID: 6660-19.129 to the following address by November 26th, 2019 to:
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
oder per E-Mail an: bewerbung(at)gsi.de