Embedded Systems Developer (f/m/d) B.Sc., M.Sc. or Diploma in Electronics, Computer-Science or equivalent
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to world-class science.
The department “Control Systems” (ACO) presently employs about 60 hardware and software developers and is responsible for the design and implementation the control system of the existing and future FAIR accelerator facilities.
We are now inviting qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Embedded Systems Developer (f/m/d)
B.Sc., M.Sc. or Diploma in Electronics, Computer-Science or equivalent
Reference No. 6210-19.89
The position is dedicated to the development of the Timing System based on White Rabbit PTP. The main task is the development of interfaces between FPGAs and higher levels of the control system stack with a focus on FPGA configware, Linux drivers and APIs.
Your Tasks include:
- Development, optimization, test and commissioning of components of the timing and real-time control system. This includes programmable hardware in VHDL, firmware, drivers and libraries in C/C++ as well as scripts and tools in various programming languages
- Technical contribution to the FAIR Bunch-To-Bucket transfer system. This includes development, realization, system integration, commissioning and test of components (VHDL, C/C++)
- Development and optimization of host-bridges (PCIe, USB, Ethernet) for various FPGA platforms
- Integration of custom hardware components in Linux-APIs
- Documentation of your developments
- Integration of developed components into the control system of the accelerator
- Support of the users of the systems during commissioning and operation
- Participation in the interdisciplinary conceptual design process
Required professional skills:
- Deep knowledge in at least two of the following three fields
- VHDL programming for FPGA platforms
- C and C++ programming
- Linux hardware-driver development
- Several years of experience in using open source systems and tools (Linux OS, GNU toolchain)
- Good knowledge and experience with synchronization of distributed systems (hard- and software) in hard realtime in the low microsecond range
- Experience with collaborations with large-scale software projects and code versioning systems, ideally Git
- Deep knowledge of function, structure and application of bus- and network technologies and common communication protocols
- High proficiency in English and proficiency in German (spoken and written)
- Ability and willingness to familiarize yourself quickly and efficiently with new technical subject areas
Moreover, your tasks will place high demands on your conceptual skills. The necessary close cooperation with other professional groups requires good teamwork and communication skills as well as a structured and precise approach.
We offer an initial employment contract of 5 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Handicapped persons will be preferentially considered when equally qualified.
If you find this position interesting and challenging and would like to work in an exceptional, international, strongly technical environment, please send your full application documents, including the desired salary, with information of your earliest possible starting date and the reference number above to the following address by 26 July2019 to
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by e-mail to: bewerbung(at)gsi.de