Electronics developer (f/m/d)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research) one of the world's largest research projects, will be built in international cooperation. GSI and FAIR offer the opportunity to work together in this international environment with a team of employees committed to ensuring each day to conduct world-class science.
The department “Control Systems” (ACO) presently employs about 60 hardware and software developers and is responsible for the design and implementation the control system of the existing and future FAIR accelerator facilities.
We are now inviting qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Electronics developer (f/m/d)
M.Sc. or certificate in electrical engineering, electronics or comparable qualification
Reference no.: 6210-19.60
Your position deals with the development of electronic circuits for digital and analogue signal processing, both developing new systems and improving existing ones. The main focus is on the development of digital modules with highly integrated FPGAs.
Alongside hardware circuit development, the design of digital systems and their translation into VHDL will be an important responsibility.
- The design of electronic circuits (high-frequency digital and also sensitive analogue circuits) taking into consideration dimensioning and worst-case behaviour. Digital functionality will be developed primarily using Altera FPGAs and the VHDL hardware description language
- Participation in the layout process of high-frequency digital systems and sensitive analogue circuits (EMC, crosstalk, ground loops)
- Optimisation and further development of existing electronic modules. This covers components that provide both digital and analogue functions (mostly ADCs and DACs)
- Commissioning and type approval tests of prototypes using modern electronic test equipment such as logic analysers and digital oscilloscopes
- Repair of electronic modules; preparation for the final inspection of production runs
- Preparation of documentation for electronic modules such as module descriptions, commissioning and diagnostic manuals, test instructions etc.
- Design and construction of test and diagnostic environments
- Very good knowledge of electrical/electronic engineering and electrical metrology
- Very good knowledge of VHDL
- Practical experience and thorough knowledge of the development of electronic circuits and the use of electronic modules
- Experience in fault finding and analysis in electronic modules
- Good knowledge of Linux and low-level C/C++ programming
- Good knowledge of physics and mathematics
- Good verbal and written skill German and English
In addition, your job demands a strong aptitude for conceptual work. The close collaboration required with other professional groups requires extremely good communication skills, team working abilities and a precise, structured approach to working.
We offer an initial employment contract of 5 years. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVÖD). GSI supports the professional development of women and encourages their applications. Handicapped applicants with equal qualifications will be given preference.
The group leader Mr. Thieme will be happy to provide further information (please contact the human resources department). You may also find out more about FAIR and GSI at www.gsi.de and www.fair-center.eu.
If you find this position interesting and challenging and would like to work in an exceptional, international, strongly technical environment, please send your full application documents, including the desired salary, with information of your earliest possible starting date and the reference number above to the following address by 07. June 2019 to
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by email to: bewerbung(at)gsi.de