Physicist (PhD) Experimental atomic/nuclear physics / (f/m)
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung operates a unique large-scale accelerator for ions. Researchers from around the world use this facility for experiments which help them make fascinating discoveries concerning the building blocks of matter and the evolution of the universe. In addition, they continually develop novel applications in medicine and technology. In the coming years the new international accelerator facility FAIR (Facility for Antiproton and Ion Research), one of the largest research projects worldwide, will be built at GSI.
In the SHE-Physics Department (Physics of superheavy elements) at the GSI Helmholtzzentrum in Darmstadt we are looking for a
Physicist (PhD) Experimental atomic/nuclear physics / (f/m) – Tenure Track
Reference number: 1210-18.129
The successful candidate will work on the following tasks:
- responsible for the Penning trap mass spectrometer SHIPTRAP
- high-precision mass measurements of radionuclides, in particular in the region of the heaviest elements
- methodical and technical developments for increased efficiency, sensitivity and precision in mass spectrometry of radionuclides
- active participation in the preparation, performing, and analysis of all experiments of the SHE physics department
- the candidate will be responsible for electronics and data acquisition systems of the SHE physics department
- supervision of undergraduate students, graduate students and postdoctoral researchers
Applicants should fulfill the following criteria:
- PhD in experimental atomic or nuclear physics
- experience in Penning trap mass spectrometry of radionuclides
- experience in SHE research is desirable
- sound knowledge of the electronics, data and control acquisition systems is highly desirable
- good communication skills, team working abilities and a precise, structured approach to working
- very good verbal and written English
The position is initially limited to five years in line with a tenure-track treatment. After positive evaluation, it is possible to transfer in an unlimited employment. Salary is equivalent to that for public employees as specified in the collective agreement for public employees (TVöD Bund).
GSI supports the vocational development of women. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply for the position.
Severely disabled applicants with equal qualifications will be given preference.
Further details about FAIR and GSI are given on the websites www.fair-center.eu and www.gsi.de.
If you find this position interesting and challenging, please send your complete application including the usual documents along at least three references and the above Posting-ID by September 7th, 2018 to
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH
or by E-Mail to: bewerbung(at)gsi.de