The IT department at GSI serves several purposes. On one hand it operates and manages the entire IT and HPC infrastructure at GSI and FAIR including the planned FAIR Tier-0 data center. On the other hand several research and development projects are conducted with the focus of building and improving a highly efficient and high performance IT infrastructure for the GSI and FAIR research. Within that context the latest technologies are used or developed in order to ensure environmental compatibility and resource efficiency, including Green-IT.
To date GSI is operating the most advanced and efficient data centers world wide, the largest, highest performing and most cost effective mass storage system, based on Lustre. Further the computing model for FAIR is being developed.
The IT structure as outlined above consists of several departments:
- HPC managing the GSI and FAIR HPC infrastructure, mass storage infrastructure and the ALICE Tier-2 center
- Core-IT managing the entire GSI and FAIR IT infrastructure, including networks, mail, web, archival storage, printers, etc.
- Scientific Computing: managing and developing the FAIR software infrastructure the ALICE Tier-2 software
- Administrative IT managing all IT relevant for the administration (reporting to CEO)
- Accelerator Electronics managing all accelerator specific IT (reporting to accelerator)
- IT Security is responsible for the planning, preparation and compliance with IT security policie
These departments work closely together and organize themselves in common meetings trying to utilize any possible synergies between the departments.
Secretariat of the Departments HPC, Core-IT, Scientific Computing and Admininistrative IT